A Cinco de Mayo V!VAlicious Recipe
Published on May 5, 2020
In these challenging times, it’s important to find things that still bring a smile to our faces. For many people, the thought of festive Mariachi music and delicious Mexican cuisine is enough to evoke the brightest of smiles.
This year, to celebrate Cinco de Mayo, we’re sharing a V!VAlicious Mexican recipe for Barbacoa Tacos with Pico de Gallo from one of V!VA Retirement Communities’ talented Executive Chefs, Jamie Smye of Meadowlands Retirement Community.
Try this delicious recipe at home and let us know how you like it! Plus, to learn more about our V!VAlicious dining program, please give us a call to schedule a virtual tour of your local V!VA Retirement Community.
PICO DE GALLO
Pico de Gallo is a popular Mexican salsa that’s loaded with fresh tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, and lime juice. Pico De Gallo is excellent over tacos, burritos, nachos, or served with chips.
- prep time:10 MINUTES
- servings:6 as an appetizer
- 1 lb tomatoes (3-4 medium), diced
- 1/2 medium onion (1 cup chopped)
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and finely minced (optional)
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- 2 Tbsp lime juice from 1 lime
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- In a medium bowl, toss diced tomatoes, onion, jalapeno pepper and chopped cilantro.
- Stir in 2 Tbsp lime juice and lightly season with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp black pepper, or season to taste. Enjoy right away or cover and refrigerate overnight.
This barbacoa recipe is simple to make in your slow cooker, and makes the most tender, flavorful, delicious barbacoa beef. While it does take time to make in a slow cooker or oven, this dish is usually considered for special occasions, like Cinco de Mayo.
- prep time: 10 MINUTES
- cook time: 250 MINUTES
- total time: 260 MINUTES
- yield: ABOUT 8-12 SERVINGS
- 3 lbs chuck roast (fat trimmed), cut into 2-inch chunks OR ANY BRAISING BEEF
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 chipotles in adobo sauce, chopped (or more to taste)
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 Tablespoon dried Mexican oregano (or regular oregano)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 cup beef stock or water
- Combine all ingredients in the bowl of a slow cooker. Toss gently to combine. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours, or until the beef is tender and falls apart easily when shredded with a fork.
- Using two forks, shred the beef into bite-sized pieces inside of the slow cooker. Toss the beef with the juices, then cover and let the barbacoa beef soak up the juices for an extra 10 minutes. Remove the bay leaves. Use a pair of tongs or a slotted spoon to serve.
- If not using immediately, refrigerate the barbacoa beef with its juices in a sealed container for up to 5 days. Or freeze it for up to 3 months.
Have ready fresh flour tortillas, chopped cilantro, lime wedges, pickled onions and hot sauce. Best served with a healthy dose of Mariachi music!