A Recipe for National Nutrition Month
Published on March 5, 2021
March is National Nutrition Month! Proper nutrition is important for everyone but particularly vital for older adults. At V!VA Retirement Communities, we create V!VAlicious meals – which are delicious and nutritious – under the guidance of a Senior Health Dietitian to help our Community Members feel their best. For example, this inspired recipe from V!VA Mississauga Retirement Community’s Executive Chef, Shaun Karkkainen.
“I selected this recipe because it is a great example of an item commonly found on our spring and summer rotational menus. Bulgur is an excellent source of important vitamins and nutrients, is lower in calories than brown rice or quinoa, and in a salad pairs nicely with a lean protein; in this case – turkey. It’s also easy to prepare and, most importantly, delicious!”
We don’t doubt it! Scroll down for the recipe, or click here to download it!
Roast Turkey Breast, Grilled Apple and Bulgur Wheat Salad with Honey Dijon Vinaigrette
1. Bulgur Wheat
• 1 cup bulgur wheat
• 2 cups water
• 1 tsp lemon pepper
• 1/2 tsp freshly chopped garlic
• 1 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
1. Put the bulgur wheat into a heatproof bowl with lemon pepper and garlic.
2. Pour over a kettle of boiling water, covering the grains in about 2-3cm.
3. Cover the bowl with a plate or tea towel, and leave to soak for 20-30 mins until all the water is absorbed. (You could also use stock for more flavor).
4. Separate the grains and fluff with a fork and mix in freshly chopped parsley.
5. Set aside in the fridge until ready for use.
• 2 oz cooked roasted turkey breast (thinly sliced)
• 1 oz diced tomato (fresh)
• 1 oz diced cucumber (fresh)
• 1 oz baby spinach (fresh)
• 1 oz grilled granny smith apple (fresh), thinly sliced
• 1 cup cooked bulgur wheat
1. In a stainless-steel bowl add the tomato, cucumber, baby spinach and cooked bulgur wheat.
2. Add 1 oz of honey mustard vinaigrette and lightly tossed together.
3. Place mixed salad in the center of a serving bowl.
4. Garnish with sliced roast turkey and grilled apple.
• 1 fl. oz olive oil
• 1/2 fl. oz apple cider vinegar
• 1 tbsp honey
• 1 tsp Dijon mustard
• 1/8 tsp kosher salt
• ¼ tsp ground black pepper
1. In a stainless-steel bowl add the vinegar, honey, mustard, salt, pepper and whisk together.
2. Pour olive oil into the mixture while whisking to emulsify.