Chef Mitchell Lash’s Classic Latkes
Published on December 2, 2020
The holidays are right around the corner, and with them comes tasty food! V!VA Thornhill Woods Retirement Community’s Executive Chef, Mitchell Lash, shares his recipe for a traditional holiday classic. “This recipe is quick, simple and very tasty!” he says, “Friendly tip: Cooking the potato ahead of time helps with the preparation on a very busy day.”
Sounds delicious! Check out the recipe below, or download it here.
Ingredients• 1.135 kilograms of potato (about 8 large) Baking or Yukon Gold
• 600 gr Medium Spanish Onions
• 2 Large Eggs
• 8.5 gr Sea Salt
• 2.84 gr White Pepper
• 32 gr All Purpose Flour
• 200-300 ml Vegetable Oil (for Frying)
Instructions• Precook potatoes until just done and set aside to cool down.
• Peel onions and grate using a fine hole grater and set aside for later.
• Once the potatoes are cooled, grate them with the same size grater and place them in a large mixing bowl. Add the grated onions to the potatoes and squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
• Add eggs, sea salt, pepper, and a small amount of the flour to help bind the mixture.
• In a large skillet heat oil (be carful not to heat oil to high as it will burn).
• Form the potato mixture into 4-5 oz patties and fry until golden brown on each side.
• Remove potato Latkes and set aside on a paper towel so absorb the oil.
• Place Latkes in a warm oven until ready to serve.
• Add Apple Sauce and/or Sour Cream and enjoy!