Recipe: Latkes with Tomato Apple Chutney
Published on November 26, 2021
The holiday season has begun, and with it comes delicious food and family gatherings! V!VA Thornhill Woods’ Executive Chef, Mitchell Lash, shares this recipe he is preparing for our Community Members to enjoy. You can download the recipe and prepare it for yourself (and your family!) here.
- 3 large russet potatoes
- 1 onion, grated
- 2 eggs beaten
- ½ cup matzo meal
- 1tsp salt
- 1tsp pepper
- Vegetable oil for frying
- In a large bowl, combine potato, and all ingredients
- Heat a frying pan with oil
- When oil is hot, form heaping portions of potato mixture in a 2 to 3” circle.
- Fry on both sides until golden brown and remove and place on paper towel.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced onions
- 1 cup thinly sliced apple (gala preferred)
- 2 cups cherry tomato halved
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Add oil and onions and cook until soft and translucent.
- Reduce heat and add cherry tomatoes, vinegar, sugar, apples and cinnamon and simmer.
- Stir occasionally until tomato and apples soften and liquid is syrupy.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, then let cool.